If you are facing a serious criminal charge, choosing a criminal defense attorney in Athens may be one of the most important decisions you make. How can you make sure you choose the right attorney for your case?
QUESTIONS TO ASK WHEN MEETING A CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY
It can be helpful to know what questions to ask when you meet a criminal defense attorney. The answers to these questions will help you decide whether or not they’re the right choice for your case.
- How much will I pay? The attorney should be able to give you a breakdown of what he or she will charge. They may not be able to estimate how much your entire case will cost, but you should get a general idea of what you will pay before retaining them as your attorney.
- Do you have experience with similar cases? You need to find an attorney who has experience handling cases that are similar to your case. If you are facing a drug charge, for example, you need an Athens criminal defense attorney who regularly handles drug cases.
- Who will be handling my case? Will the attorney you’re meeting with handle your case? Will they hand it over to a junior lawyer? It is important to know who will represent you, how strategic decisions about your case will be made, and whether or not your case will get the attention it deserves.
- How often do your cases go to trial? Settling out of court with a plea bargain can be beneficial in some cases. But if you cannot get a fair outcome with a plea, your attorney must be willing to go to trial to defend your rights. Defense attorneys who have years of trial experience can often negotiate better plea deals and provide a stronger defense of your case if it does go to trial.
- Do you often appear in the courts in my area? Having an attorney in Athens with a local presence can be helpful. Familiarity with the local court system, the prosecutors, and judges can provide a strategic advantage. However, it is important to note that local connections – under no circumstances – will influence the outcome of your case.
WHAT SHOULD I BRING TO MY FIRST MEETING WITH MY CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY?
When you meet with your criminal defense attorney for the first time, you should bring:
- Written contact information, as well as information about your personal and professional background, and any prior criminal charges, convictions, or other information that may be relevant to your case.
- Any and all police/court documents related to the charges you are facing, as well as any relevant documents related to bail, property searches, police reports, and other such information.
- Any evidence that can help with your case, such as photos, video, or documents.
- Lists of witnesses who can corroborate your story, testify to your character, or otherwise help with your defense.
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO HIRE AN EXPERIENCED CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY?
An experienced Athens criminal defense attorney will have the knowledge, experience, and skills required to provide the best possible defense for your case.
Your lawyer will be able to build a solid defense, examine the prosecution’s evidence to find flaws and issues with their case, help you negotiate the court system, discuss options for plea bargains with the prosecution, and fight on your behalf to protect your rights.
NEED AN ATHENS CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY? CONTACT RYAN SWINGLE LAW TODAY
Facing a criminal charge can be scary. But with the help of the right lawyer, you can protect your rights and your reputation during this difficult time. If you need a criminal lawyer in Athens, Ryan Swingle Law is here to help. Contact us now to schedule a case review and consultation, and get the skilled representation you need.