Swingle Levin LLC: Your Gun Charges Lawyer
Need a firearms lawyer? Get legal help today. Contact Swingle Levin, LLC, to schedule a consultation.
The Role of a Gun Charges Attorney in Georgia
While gun ownership is relatively permissive in Georgia, weapons and firearms charges can have severe consequences. Convictions of weapons charges can result in fines, jail time, consecutive sentencing provisions, and a criminal record. Additionally, individuals may be prohibited from owning firearms in the future.
When facing such charges, don’t wait. It’s crucial to enlist the help of an experienced criminal defense attorney at Swingle Levin LLC. Our criminal defense lawyers can help protect your rights and navigate the legal process.
Learn more about our services and how we can help you fight weapons charges.
Understanding Georgia’s Gun Laws
In Georgia, there are various types of gun charges that individuals may face, each with its legal elements and potential penalties. Some common types of gun-related charges in Georgia include:
- Carrying a concealed weapon without a permit: Carrying a concealed firearm or other weapon without a valid concealed carry permit is generally a misdemeanor but can become a felony if the person has a previous criminal conviction.
- Possession of a firearm by a convicted felon: Georgia law prohibits the possession of firearms by anyone convicted of a felony offense. This is a felony offense with significant penalties.
- Aggravated assault charges with a Firearm: This felony offense involves using a firearm that places another person in reasonable fear of severe bodily injury or death.
- Possession of a Firearm in a Prohibited Location: Georgia law prohibits carrying firearms in specific locations, such as schools, government buildings, and places of worship. Failure to adhere to these restrictions results in misdemeanor charges.
- Possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime: When a firearm is used or possessed during the commission of another crime, such as robbery or various drug possession charges, it can lead to additional charges of possessing a firearm during the commission of a felony. It is a felony offense that can lead to a 5-year prison sentence.
- Illegal sale or trafficking of firearms: This involves engaging in the illegal sale, trade, or trafficking of firearms.
- Reckless conduct with a firearm: This charge may apply when a person recklessly discharges a firearm in a manner that endangers other people’s safety.
- Possession of stolen firearms: Possessing a stolen firearm is a crime, even if it is not discharged
Depending on the case’s specifics and the defendant’s criminal history, the elements and penalties for these gun charges can vary. So, the importance of hiring a criminal defense attorney cannot be overstated. You can count on Swingle Levin LLC for assistance.
In Georgia, Weapons Offenses Carry Lifelong Penalties
The penalties for committing weapons offenses go beyond the punishment imposed by the court. They may include the loss of gun rights, community service, and fines. In some cases, the court may order the offender to attend counseling or pay restitution to the victim.
Additionally, having a criminal record means you cannot rent homes, apply for scholarships, or even enroll in universities or vocational schools.
The potential impact a criminal conviction may have on your future makes hiring an attorney essential. A Georgia lawyer at Swingle Levin can help you explore various defense strategies, such as self-defense, disclaiming ownership, or contesting intent to use weapons.
How Our Team at Swingle Levin LLC Can Help
When you hire a lawyer from our firm, here are the services you can expect:
Explore various defense strategies: We understand the complexities of weapons charges cases and can employ various defense strategies tailored to your situation, including:
Self-defense or necessity: Demonstrating that you acted in self-defense or out of necessity, indicating a lack of criminal intent.
Unawareness of possession: Arguing that you were unaware of possessing the weapon or being unaware that the firearm was stolen.
Lack of control: Contending that the weapon was not under your control at the time of the offense.
Navigating complex laws: Georgia’s laws surrounding weapons charges are intricate, and we can help ensure your rights are protected by navigating these complexities effectively.
Utilize affirmative defenses: In some cases, an affirmative defense can justify your actions. This can include arguing that your possession of the weapon was for self-defense or that you legally obtained and possessed the weapon.
Customized defense strategy: The most effective defense strategy will depend on the facts of your case and the charges you face. We’ll work with you to determine how to protect your rights best.
Handling various cases: Our team has helped clients throughout Georgia with various cases, including armed robbery and other weapons-related offenses. We have the knowledge and experience to handle your specific situation effectively.
By entrusting your weapons charges case to us, you’re ensuring that you have a dedicated and skilled legal team working tirelessly to achieve the best possible outcome for you. We are here to protect your rights and provide the legal guidance you need during this challenging time.
Contact Swingle Levin LLC Today!
When facing weapons charges in Georgia, your future and rights are on the line. Don’t hesitate to take action. Our battle-tested, skilled, and devoted criminal defense lawyers at Swingle Levin LLC are here to provide the legal guidance and unwavering advocacy you require.
Your defense against gun crimes and felony charges starts here. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and build a strong defense strategy. We understand the complexities of weapons charges cases and are committed to standing by your side throughout this challenging process.
Don’t navigate these legal challenges alone. Trust our experienced team to fight for your rights and your future.